Sunday 11 May 2008

Mother's Day

"Happy Mother's Day!"
Native Australian Bee with White Flower

Mothers Day

australian native bee landing on a white peach blossom in springToday is Mother's Day, as you probably already know. People across the globe are honouring the dedication and value of mothers by giving gifts and other signs of appreciation. And with good reason - after all, without mothers none of us would have ever been born!

I'd like to share with you today a little bit of history about Mother's Day that you might not have heard before.
Anna Jarvis of Philadelphia, whose mother had organized women’s groups to promote friendship and health, originated Mother’s Day. On May 12, 1907, she held a memorial service at her late mother’s church in Grafton, West Virginia. Within five years virtually every state was observing the day, and in 1914 President Woodrow Wilson made it a national holiday. Over time, what had originally been primarily a day of honour became associated with the sending of cards and the giving of gifts, however, and, in protest against its commercialization, Jarvis spent the last years of her life trying to abolish the holiday she had brought into being.
I'd also like to say a big "Thank you" and "Happy Mother's Day" to my own mother today. I know you are reading, so thanks for all you've done!

20 comments:

  1. David: Wonderfully captured with suh a pretty flower. Very nice of you to share the history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post and "Happy Mothers Day" to Mothers everywhere.

    We have posted:
    Alaska's Haul Road - The Dalton Highway.
    A 414 mile gravel road,
    to the Arctic Ocean

    Come join us for the trip,
    Troy and Martha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi fishing guy,

    Thanks for dropping by again. I'm glad you could appreciate the history. I'd never heard this before, so it was a learning activity for me too!

    Cheers,

    David

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi texas travelers,

    Thanks for visiting, I'll check out your post, it sounds interesting.

    Cheers,

    David

    ReplyDelete
  5. As usul a great close-up shot, David!

    I use Potomatix pro 3.0 to make HDR image.
    Take a look at this site if you want a trial version or read about HDR.

    Have a nice week, greetings John.

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://www.hdrsoft.com/index.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. A busy bee and a beautiful flower. I like the way the image interacted with the story. Thanks for telling it here, I hadn´t read it before!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was interesting to me, I had never read about the history of Mother's Day. Your photo goes along with the post very nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi For the People,

    Thanks, I'm glad you could enjoy this pic. Hope you have a great day.

    Cheers,

    David

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi John,

    Thanks for that link, I'll see if I can check out the site you mentioned. Hope you have a great week as well.

    Cheers,

    David

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi chrome3d,

    Thanks for visiting. Glad you liked the photo, I took this pic way back in Spring (in Australia), not thinking that it would go well with a Mothers day post, but it seems to have fitted in well.

    Cheers,

    David

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi sherry,

    Well, that makes two of us! I never know about the history, and had never bothered to look it up. Blogging is certainly a good motivation for learning!

    Cheers,

    David

    ReplyDelete
  13. hello!very nice shot on beautiful white flower.Anyway come and try to visit my site.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi mimi,

    Thanks for dropping by my humble abode! I'll check out yours tonight. Have a great week!

    Cheers,

    David

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is a very charming picture.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi bobbie,

    Thanks for your comments. I hope you have a great day.

    Cheers,

    David

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello David.
    Do you know the name of this native bee? I photographed a couple of them today and have been trying ti find its name.
    https://soulsongart.wordpress.com/
    Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Lynette,

    No, sorry I dont know what the name of this bee is. I will google it for you and let you know if I find anything out.

    Cheers,

    David

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. I will try to reply to every comment, so if you want to view the response you can come back to this post later. If you have a blogger account, you can also tick the "Email follow-up comments to....." box to have the reply emailed to you.

Related Posts