Sunday 2 December 2007

Agapantha Flower - Purple Sunday

Agapantha Flower - Purple Sundaysingle agapantha flower - close up photo macro pic of an agapanthus africanus flower with stamen
Purple is the colour of royalty. As we approach Christmas, we enter the 4 week period traditionally known as "Advent" (from the Latin "to come"). The colour purple, or violet, is used to symbolize joy and expectant hope as we wait for the royal King to come at Christmas.

In keeping with this tradition, I have chosen the purple Agapantha (agapanthus africanus) flower for today's post. Last month you saw an unopened bud, but today the flower is fully open and blooming. The stamen are clearly visible, and the small yellow bunches of pollen at their tip are sharply in focus. The green stems in the background also provide a contrasting relief from the soft purple and white of the petals.

As we enter Summer here in Australia, and America enters Winter, everyone is preparing for Christmas. But I hope that amongst your shopping and decorating, you can also take time to experience the "joy" of the season, and have a look at the wonder of nature around you.

This photo taken with the Fujifilm S9600 digital camera.
Shutter speed: 1/89, F8.0, ISO 100

12 comments:

  1. Great David! your shots would surely make anyone go closer and take a deep look at the flower next time when they come across. Falling in love with nature...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi merging point,

    I'm sure that at least I will look closely at these flowers when I see them again. And now I'm also on the lookout for more purple flowers - we've lot's here at the moment.

    I hope you enjoy these "Summer" shots while you are in the snow!

    Cheers,

    David

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice photo ;) I really love that. Have a nice "SUMMER" time. :)

    Ps I fall in love with flower because of your blog : )

    Cheers
    DSM

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love purple flowers. What a great post during advent. Great shot. I wonder what the flower's scent is?

    Hugs, JJ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi DSM,

    Thanks, I am having a nice Summer so far. I hope you can have a nice Winter too, and we can all have a nice Christmas. :) Enjoy the flowers!

    Cheers,

    David

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi kmf,

    Thanks for your comment. I actually cropped this photo digitally to achieve the right framing.

    Cheers,

    David

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi JJ,

    As far as I can remember, the Agapantha plant doesn't have a fragrance. I'll check it up for you, but I think it's just the looks that makes the agapantha flower attractive. :)

    Cheers,

    David

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful flower. They have purple pollen too. Keep posting stuff like this to help get us through the winter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi digital flower pictures,

    Thanks for your info on the flower, I didn't know that the agapantha flower had purple pollen. I'll certainly continue to post these Summer photos to help you through the Winter - in the mean time, we also enjoy seeing Winter photos while we swelter in the heat here!

    Cheers,

    David

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi wuttisak,

    Thanks for your visit, and I hope you find my future posts interesting. I'll check out your blog soon. See ya soon!

    Cheers,

    David

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi everyone here,

    I have started a new shopping portal - www.topestore.com where I have made my all endeavors to keep the prices highly competitive. At here, you can find 35 mm camera, digital camera, digital binocular, AM/FM radio binocular, night vision monocular, View catcher Bino-Camera & much more. Let me know what you think about it and anything I should add. I would thank the community here for their suggestion/advices. Please do not consider this is a spam.

    Prashant

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. I will try to reply to every comment, so if you want to view the response you can come back to this post later. If you have a blogger account, you can also tick the "Email follow-up comments to....." box to have the reply emailed to you.

Related Posts